To Peel or Not to Peel


In the past few months in addition to my skin regiment I have been doing a series of skin treatment which includes facials, microdermabrasion & chemical peels to fight acne scarring and dark spots I have has for majority of my adult life.

First and foremost, make sure you do your research and go to a licensed aesthetician such procedures.  They are beyond your average facials.  I found Ayesha Beauty Salon and Spa.  During my initial appointment which was for a facial I chatted with her about my skin concerns, she also examined my skin to see if there were any other issues.   After hearing her recommendation of a treatment plan of a microdermabrasion and series of chemical peels I decided to do a lot of research to ensure what it entails and if I felt that was the right plan for me.  (P.S. I have glowing skin for weeks after that multivitamin facial and go so many compliments on my skin)

 After doing some homework and being satisfied with the course of action I began the series of treatments:

Microdermabrasion: a non-chemical and no invasive procedure uses an abrasive instrument to gently exfoliate the skin removing the uneven outer layer to reveal smoother, softer, brighter skin.  It helps treat discoloration, light scarring and sun damage.  There are at home treatment devices available but make sure you do your research and consult a health care professional prior to doing anything.

 Chemical Peels: is something I did many years ago and saw great results. Unfortunately, the person that was doing them for me when on leave and then I lost touch with them.  After that I was not motivated to find someone to continue doing peels. Chemical Peels are treatments where chemical solution is applied to the skin which makes the skin peel after a few days revealing smoother and softer skin. It also helps treat acne scarring and dark spots.  When doing such peels, it can be a little uncomfortable when the chemical is applied to the skin. It can cause tingling, tightness, hot sensations.  The esthetician will be able to educate you on it prior to applying it.

There are may different kind of peels.  I have done the following:

Glycolic Acid Peel: Glycolic acid is a fruit acid. Great for resurfacing.  It helps improve skin texture, reduce fine lines and wrinkles. 

Lactic Acid Peel: Lactic Acid is derived from milk.  It helps in reducing wrinkles, age spots and pigmentation.  It is milder that Glycolic acid. With certain skin issues Lactic acid peels are not recommended. Consult a healthcare professional

Salicylic Acid Peel:  is part of Beta Hydroxy family.  For those who fight acne know a lot of acne fighting products contain salicylic acid.  It is gently for the skin and helps fight acne.

TCA Peel: I recently learned about this peel.  It helps remove the top layer off the skin, reducing acne scarring, age spots and hyperpigmentation. The strength of the peel can be customized.  During application it can slightly sting and burn but goes away once treatment is done.

Few things I have learned about peels:

·         one size does not fit all

·         they can be done in a series to address individual concerns

·         one treatment will not be an end all be all

·         It takes several treatments to get desired results

·         These are treatments that have worked for me, I did my research.  ALWAYS consult a healthcare professional prior to doing anything.

·         Skin does get sensitive after treatments so please ensure you follow aftercare directions.

·         Do your research ask friends for recommendation on where to it done is you know they have done such treatments.

Having done this for a few months I know I still have ways to go but I have seen good changes in my skin.  Hope this helps answer some questions you may have about peels and microdermabrasion. 

***Always patch test prior to using any product and consult a doctor for professional advice***
Follow me on:
https://www.facebook.com/confessionsproductjunkie/
https://productjunkee.tumblr.com/
https://pieceofmeconfession.blogspot.com/
Instagram:  productjunkie_confessions

Comments

Popular Posts