Oiling and Hair Masks

We color our hair, put them thru heat and other styling treatments so its important to give it some TLC by oiling or regularly using hair masks, but beware too much of either can cause more damage if not done right.

As far back as I can think oiling my hair with coconut oil has been a big part of my life.  When I was young my mom would oil my hair on a regular basis.  As I got older I didn't oil as often and rarely used hair masks and it showed.  My hair because week, brittle and damaged. In the past few years I have been trying to get back to it.

Oiling/Hair Masks helps moisturize your dry scalp, helps heal damaged hair, strengthens, reduces frizz and prevents breakage.

DIY

There are many DIY hair mask (eggs, banana, avocado etc).   I prefer a mixture of Coconut, Almond, Castor and Amla Oil. There is no set quantity I just mix a little bit of each in a bottle or bowl.  Warm it for 15 seconds, soak a cotton ball in the oil apply it to my roots (DO NOT USE TOO MUCH OIL). Using a cotton ball helps deposit the oil directly to my roots.  Then using my fingertips (no fingernails) I massage my scalp gently for 5 minutes. Whatever oil is on my hands I just pull through my ends.    Wrap you head in a hot towel and wash after 2 hours.

Benefits of:

Coconut Oil- There are so many benefits of coconut oil.  It helps with hair growth, helps fight dandruff, adds shine and softness, helps against breakage and split ends.  Its also a carrier oil so you can mix a few drops of essential oils in the coconut oil to target specific issues. Mixing Tea Tree oil in it helps tackle dandruff or Lavender helps with distressing.

Almond Oil- contains OMEGA 3 fatty acids, Vitamin E and Magnesium.  It helps strengthen hair while adding shine and luster.

Castor Oil-has antifungal and antibacterial properties, contains Vitamin E, OMEGA 6, proteins and minerals.  It helps strengthen and nourish.

Amla (Gooseberry) Oil contains vitamins, fatty acid, protein and minerals. It helps treat dry, itchy scalp.  It also helps promote hair growth.

Massaging your hair daily even when not oiling helps with circulation to the scalp.  I massage my hair daily before going to bed.

If you are not a fan of oils there are some good hair masks and products available

L'Oréal Oil in Cream: For Dry hair.   It contains Coconut, Argan, Chamomile, Amla, and sunflower oil complex among other ingredients  but it has a cream finish so does not have a greasy oily finish.  Start with a little bit on your and hair and massage prior to washing or as a leave in conditioner.  I used it daily for my nightly massage.  A little goes a long way.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask

Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating mask- Its and Argan oil based mask for medium to thick hair.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! It hydrates and restore dry, damaged and brittle hair.

OUAI Treatment Masque: Moisturizes and restores damaged hair.

Other brands that have great hair restoring masks VERB, Amika, Living Proof, Kiehl's, Caviar......

There are a few of my favs but its not one size fit all. Read about the product do your research so you are choosing the best product for your hair. Hair issues can also be medical. Please consult a health care professional about your hair issues.

*** Always patch test prior to using any product and consult a doctor for professional advice.***



#confessions, #productjunkie, #pieceofme, #oiling, #loreal, #neutrogena, #moroccanoil, #briogeo, #OUAI, #verb, #Amika, #livingproof,#kiehls, #caviar, #sephora 







Comments

Popular Posts