What's on the inside?



"Make taking care of yourself part of your daily routine."


In a society that revolves around looks it is important to take care of yourself on the inside and give yourself a break from makeup, hair color and nail polish ever so often.  Over the years here a few things I have learnt:


  • Body and Mind
    • Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!!!! Using products and serums will only help so much but if you don't hydrate skin can look dull, uneven and dry
    • . Drinking water helps your body flush toxins making it look fresh and hydrated.  I hate drinking plain water so I infuse it with fresh ginger, cucumber, mint, lime, lemon and/or oranges.  These days there are water bottles with built in infusers for on the go. When I drink too much soda, coffee or alcohol it dehydrates my skin and causes breakouts. For my skin water is a must.
    • Eating a well balanced diet is a must.  Eating foods with too much salt, sugar or oil (fried food) can also cause skin issues.  Talk to a doctor or a nutritionist on what's best for you. 
    • Vitamins are good to the skin but please check with your doctor before taking anything.
    • Detox from devices even if it is for 15 minutes.
    •  If you don't have a block of time try doing 1 minute meditation several times a day.  It will help calm and relax your mind and body. 

  • Face:
    • Go makeup free once in a while to give your face a break. Wearing heavy makeup everyday can clog your pores causing breakouts, dryness and dullness. I don't wear makeup on daily bases.  After I cleanse and moisturize my skin in the AM there are days I go to work sans makeup. I give my face a break from all those chemicals and let it breathe.
    • Make sure you apply sunscreen everyday.  Everyone has a different take on SPF needed.  I apply SPF 50 since I did laser hair removal many years ago and have continued to use it since.  With that said I think SPF 30 is good. (please check with a dermatologist or physician and patch test before using any product) 
    • Exfoliate your skin once a week.  Be careful as it can dry or irritate your skin.  My rule of thumb the bigger the beads in the exfoliator the more abrasive it is. So those are a no no for my face. I look for a exfoliator with small micro beads or make my own with rice flour, ground oats and honey.

  •   Hair Dos and Don'ts
    • If you have color treated hair give yourself a break from hair color once in a while.  All the chemical processing can do a number on your hair. 
    • Use hair masks or hot oil treatments to help strengthen your hair. Wrap a hot towel on your head a bit after applying hair masks or hot oil.
    • Massage your scalp everyday for 5-10 minutes.  It help increase circulation but gently massage using finger tips only.  If you use your fingernails it can cause hair breakage. 
    • Give your hair a break from styling tools like blow dryers, flat irons etc.  If you have to use them use the lowest heat setting.  Try drying your hair on the cool setting.
    • Give your hair and scalp a break from too many styling products and use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of built up.  You can also use a DIY Apple cider vinegar and water mixture to remove build up and restore your scalp's PH.
    • Use heat protecting products to prevent damage from styling tools.
    • Brush your hair before shampooing and comb with a wide tooth comb to evenly distribute conditioner.
    • Dry gently using a cotton T-shirt rather than a towel to dry to minimize frizz. 
    • Hair is most vulnerable when wet so be care full of brushing and styling as it can cause breakage. 
    • If you must comb it wet use a wide tooth comb and start from the tips and work your way up to the roots 

  • Hand, Feet and Nails:
    • I like to go sans nail polish on my fingers and toes every few months. It gives the nails a breather. 
    • I massage my nails and cuticle with oil weekly to help strengthen.
    • Soak your hands and feet in water for a bit prior to cutting your nails. 
    • I use Vaseline on the bottom of feet at night specially in winter when my feet get dry.
    • When going to a nail salon take your tools to prevent a chance of infection. Sometimes I even take my own nail polish.
    • Last thing I apply before going to bed is lotion or Vaseline on my hands and feet.

***Disclaimer: This is based on what works for me. Please check with your doctor or professional advice.***

#apieceofme, #confessions, #DIY, #Makeupjunkie, #productconfessions, #productho, #metime, #innerbeauty, #youarebeautiful


Comments

Popular Posts